Stay informed about product recalls by checking the Consumer Protection recall alerts page at http://www.dos.ny.gov/consumerprotection/scams/consumeralerts_recalls/recall_alerts.htm and recall.gov regularly.
Choking and Ingestion Hazards
Check squeeze toys, cars and trucks for loose or small parts that may be a choking hazard if swallowed.
Carefully select the toys you give your children and keep children away from these choking hazards:
- Magnetic toys
- Latex Balloons
- Marbles / Small Balls
- Small Toys / Toys with Small Parts
- Rings and Earrings
- Small Batteries
- Medicine Syringes / Droppers
- Pen / Marker Caps / Erasers
- Safety Pins
- Avoid toys with long cords that could strangle a child.
- Avoid clothing with drawstrings at the neck or waist.
- Play alongside your children to reduce or eliminate the risk of injury.
- Always buy age appropriate toys.
- Read labels carefully. Take careful note of all warnings.
- Keep your toys in good condition. Throw away broken toys or repair them right away.
- Never allow a child to play with fireworks, matches, marbles, coins, scissors, balloons, or small balls or jacks.
- Look for fabric toys that are labeled as flame resistant or flame retardant.