The Federal Trade Commission works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint or get free information on consumer issues, visit ftc.gov or call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261. You can watch a video on “How to File a Complaint” on the FTC’s website here to learn more. The FTC enters consumer complaints into the Consumer Sentinel Network, a secure online database and investigative tool used by hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.
How to File a Do Not Call Complaint:
- Fill-in your name and address.
- Note the date and time of the phone call and the home phone number where you received the solicitation; Indicate cell or landline, if cell, specify if you were in the State of New York when you received the call and the time of the actual call.
- Identify the individual and/or company whose products or services were being advertised or sold, and any phone numbers included in the call.
- Describe the call, i.e., was it a hang up or topic, person or pre-recording, type of product, what information (personal or otherwise) did the representative want? Include the representative’s demeanor or attitude (abusive language).
- Include Comments: Did you tell them to stop calling? If yes, when? (Date and Time). Did they call you again after? If yes, when (Date and Time). Total number of calls received and company phone numbers, if different. Did you try to return their call? If you did, what happened when you attempted to call?
- Was any phone number or digit provided to allow you to “opt-out” of future calls?
- Did you or anyone else in your household give the caller express prior permission to call?
- Did you have an Existing Business Relationship (EBR) with the caller? (Specifically, did you or anyone else in your household make any purchases of property, goods, or services from the company that called, or made any inquiry or filed an application with the company prior to receiving the call)?
- If you answered yes to above, please specify the beginning and end date of purchase and/or association with the company.
- If any of these fields are left blank, the Consumer Sentinel Network will enter a default entry.
Please be aware that the FTC Do Not Call Registry is for residential phone numbers only. If your phone number is advertised in any way as a business number, through the web, business cards, or any written material, it cannot be registered on the Do Not Call Registry, and those complaints cannot be utilized.
If you have questions or complaints regarding the Do Not Call Registry, please contact the FTC by email at email@example.com, or by mail at:
National Do Not Call Registry
Attn: DNC Program Manager
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20580