The NYS Office of Cyber Security (OCS) has issued an alert regarding a breach at social networking site LinkedIn that reportedly has exposed the passwords of 6.5 million users. Security researchers are reporting that breached user names and password hashes have been posted on the Internet.
OCS is recommending the following:
• Change your LinkedIn password immediately
• Change the password on any account that may use the same password as your LinkedIn account, and don’t use the password on any account in the future
• Be wary of emails with links to asking you to change your LinkedIn password
Here’s how to change your LinkedIn password:
1) Log into LinkedIn
2) In the upper right side of the screen you will see your name in blue – mouse over your name and select “SETTINGS”
3) In the block with your name, you will see “Password: Change”. Click on it and follow the instructions
4) An alternative method of changing your password is to click on “Forgot Password” on the logon screen and follow the instructions.
page created: 6-7-12