The Department of State is committed to maintaining the integrity and competence of the licensees within its jurisdiction. Should a member of the public believe that a licensee has acted in an untrustworthy or incompetent manner, he or she may file a complaint with the Department's Division of Licensing Services. The complaint will be reviewed and an investigation will be commenced to determine whether the licensee should be disciplined. Both the licensee and the complainant are kept apprised of the proceedings.
A licensee who is found to be in violation of the law is subject to reprimand, fine, suspension or revocation.
Instructions for submitting your complaint:
You may open the complaint form and type the information if you have Acrobat Reader (Do Not use Acrobat Professional).
• To submit the form via regular mail, click on “Print Form” at the top after you have completed filling out your form and mail it to:
NYS Department of State
Division of Licensing Services
123 William St., 19th Floor
New York, NY 10038-3804
• To submit the form via email, use a desktop email program such as Outlook, Eudora, or other similar programs. Click the “Submit by Email” button at the top of the form after you have completed filling out your form.
If you do not have a desktop email program, and instead have a web-based email such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc., make sure to follow these simple steps:
1. Save the data as a file on your computer as “ComplaintFormData.xml”.
2. Open your internet email account and type the following address in the addressee field:
3. Copy the “ComplaintFormData.xml” file from your computer and attach it to your email. (Note, you may also attach any other supporting documents related to your complaint to the email if they are available in electronic format.)
4. Press “Send.”
Please Note: the purpose of this email box is to accept completed complaint forms only.
No other inquiries will be replied to from this email box.
Complaint Form - English (pdf)
Also, see Legal Memorandum LI02: The Department of State Licensing Complaint Resolution Process .