If you are at least 17 years old, you may apply for a Natural Hair Styling license based on:
1) New York State Education and Examinations (eligible for temporary license)
You must complete a 300-hour, New York State approved course of study and pass both the New York State written and practical examinations to get a license to operate in New York State. As proof of successful completion of schooling, you must have the Affirmation of New York State Approved Schooling section of the application completed by your school director.
After your application is reviewed and accepted, you will receive information that explains the exam process in detail.
2) Education Outside of New York State (eligible for temporary license)
The Department of State may waive the New York State schooling requirement if you can document an equivalent level of schooling from another state or country. You must submit all three of the following documents (foreign language documents must be accompanied by an English translation certified true and accurate by the translator):
(1) a school certificate;
(2) a school transcript listing subjects and hours completed;
(3) a current, original Certification of Licensure from your state board or, if not licensed, a current Certification from your state's board verifying the hours claimed.
After your application is reviewed and accepted, you will also be required to pass both the New York State written and practical examinations to obtain a Natural Hair Styling license in this state. You will receive information that explains the exam process in detail.
3) Experience: 5 Years Outside of New York State Any individual having five years of legal experience in an occupation equivalent to Natural Hair Styling may apply for a New York State license by submitting satisfactory evidence of education and experience. Evidence may include but is not limited to:
(1) original certifications from licensing agencies and two experience statements;
(2) copies of passports which indicate occupation of individual;
(3) tax returns which indicate occupation;
(4) letters from employers;
(5) practical and written examination results; and
(6) course curricula
Such evidence must be presented in legible form and in English. If a translation is provided, it must be certified as true and accurate by the translator. After your application is reviewed and accepted, you may obtain a Natural Hair Styling license in New York State without examination or further education.
You may pay by check or money order made payable to the Department of State or by MasterCard or Visa using a credit card authorization form. DO NOT SEND CASH. Application fees are nonrefundable. A $20 fee will be charged for any check returned by your bank.
Any person practicing Natural Hair Styling is required by law to have a Natural Hair Styling license. A Natural Hair Styling license will not permit you to operate a business; a separate business application must be completed and a separate business license obtained.
Yes. You need to be examined by a physician, physician's assistant or nurse practitioner to apply for a license in Natural Hair Styling. Your physician, physician's assistant or nurse practitioner must complete and date the Health Certification section of the application. You must submit your application within 30 days after the certification is signed and dated.