Applications for the 2016-2018 Empire State Fellows Class are now CLOSED.
New New York Leaders: Empire State Fellows Program
The Empire State Fellows Program is a full-time leadership training program that will prepare the next generation of talented professionals for careers as New York State policy-makers. The incoming class of Empire State Fellows will serve from September 2016 to September 2018, and receive an annual salary commensurate with experience, not to exceed $72,765, plus a generous benefits package. At the end of the fellowship, a performance review process will identify Empire State Fellows that will be given the opportunity to continue to serve as leaders in New York State government after completing the program.
Engagement in the work of New York State government lies at the heart of the Empire State Fellows Program. Governor Cuomo will appoint each Empire State Fellow to work directly with a Commissioner, Deputy Commissioner, or other high-level policy maker. Each Empire Fellow will work in the Executive Chamber or at a state office or agency, such as the Empire State Development Corporation, the Department of State, the Department of Agriculture and Markets, the Department of Labor, or the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services. (For a full list of New York State executive agencies see http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/ils/nyserver.html.) Work assignments offer Fellows unparalleled experience collaborating with senior officials and participating in the policy-making process.
While taking part in the work of government, Empire Fellows will participate in educational and professional development programs that will help them to serve as effective and ethical government leaders. The educational component of the Empire State Fellows Program kicks-off with a one-week course in September 2016. Educational coursework will continue on a semi-monthly basis. Meanwhile, professional development activities, including a breakfast presentation series and mentoring by Cabinet members and other government leaders, will enhance Empire Fellows’ collaboration with policy-makers.
Applications for the 2016-2018 Empire State Fellows Class are now open. The Empire State Fellows Program is designed to attract talented professionals with demonstrated leadership potential who want to refocus their careers on public service. Candidates will be selected on the basis of their academic and professional experience, demonstrated leadership potential, commitment to public service, communication skills, and creativity.
Applicants should possess the following qualifications:
• Creativity and strong leadership potential
• Excellent analytical and evaluative skills
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills, efficiency and flexibility
• Ability to establish priorities, plan, coordinate and monitor work
• Ability to work independently while also collaborating with a team
• Ability to identify issues, recognize best practices, formulate options and make recommendations
• A minimum of three (3) years of full-time professional experience
• Demonstrated leadership potential
• Managerial experience is a plus
• Applicants may come from all professional backgrounds
• An advanced university degree (master's degree, JD, PhD or equivalent) is desirable, but a candidate with only a Bachelor’s degree may be considered if he/she has substantial professional experience
• Applicants may come from all academic disciplines
• Candidates must be United States Citizens
• Candidates must be available to work in Albany, New York throughout the two-year program (this is NOT negotiable)
• Current New York State executive and legislative branch employees are ineligible for the Empire State Fellows Program
Applications for the 2016-2018 Empire State Fellows Class are now open. All application documents must be emailed to Fellows@exec.ny.gov as Microsoft Word or PDF attachments. A complete application will include:
1. Cover letter
2. Professional Resume or CV
3. Personal statement explaining your interest in the Empire State Fellows Program and why you should
be selected (no more than two pages)
4. Two letters of recommendation (Letters of recommendation should be sent directly from the
recommender as PDF or Microsoft Word attachments to an email to Fellows@exec.ny.gov with the
applicant’s full name in the subject line.)
The application should consist of three emails: (1) an email from the applicant attaching the cover letter, resume, and personal statement in PDF or Microsoft Word format, (2) an email from recommender #1 attaching his/her recommendation letter in PDF or Microsoft Word format, and (3) an email from recommender #2 attaching his/her recommendation letter in PDF or Microsoft Word format. All three emails must be received before 11:59 p.m. on Monday, April 22, 2016. All three emails should have the applicant’s full name in the subject line.
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
New York State is an equal opportunity employer.