Uses and grows the Office’s development expertise to implement development projects resulting from Brownfield Opportunity Area (BOA) plans, Local Waterfront Revitalization Programs (LWRP), the New York Rising Community Reconstruction (NYRCR) Program, Regional Economic Development Council (REDC) strategies, South Shore Estuary Reserve (SSER) Comprehensive Management Plan (CMP) and other Office initiatives, and seeks partnerships with local governments, community-based organizations, neighborhood associations, business leaders, investors, and academia to generate good ideas, align programs and marshal resources to achieve successful outcomes.
New York Rising Communities Reconstruction Program
Regional Economic Development Councils
- Marshals resources and catalyzes people and organizations to be productive partners focused on outcomes called for in NYRCR plans and implementation strategies; and
- Prepares for implementation of the NYRCR plans and priority projects.
Implement Community Development Projects and Regional Programs
- Catalyzes bold and successful initiatives focused on advancing the Governor’s REDC implementation strategies;
- Assists the ten REDCs with development and subsequent updates of regional strategies; and
- Manages ten State Agency Resource Teams - interagency teams of about twelve agencies that target State resources to implement REDC priority projects and provide support to the REDC workgroups.
Guide Development Through Federal Consistency Authority
- Advances Brownfield Opportunity Area (BOA) and Local Waterfront Revitalization Program (LWRP) implementation projects, including design and construction.
- Supports the South Shore Estuary Reserve (SSER) Council, manages implementation of the Comprehensive Management Plan (CMP), fosters partnerships within the SSER, and funds SSER CMP implementation projects with funds through the Environmental Protection Fund - Long Island South Shore Estuary Reserve and Local Waterfront Revitalization Program.
Develop and Strengthen New York’s Ocean and Lake-Based Economy
- Ensures that federal projects, funding, and permits in New York’s coastal area (Long Island, NYC, Hudson River, Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River) are consistent with the State’s approved Coastal Management Program and advance State priorities;
- Develops a seamless review/regulatory process for coastal permitting to reduce burden on project applicants; and
- Advances State policies and interests when reviewing federal permits, funding, or direct actions.
Support More Resilient and Robust Marine Infrastructure
- Undertakes studies, planning, and analysis of spatial data to identify appropriate development opportunities in the Atlantic Ocean and Great Lakes of Erie and Ontario;
- Identifies opportunities for new offshore economic development, building on New York’s marine economy and environment, institutional capacity and public-private partnerships;
- Develops offshore siting criteria to assess potential locations for new offshore development, particularly offshore wind; and
- Recognizes the economic contributions and develop the potential of New York’s commercial marine trades in navigation, engineering, and fishing.
- Identifies and prioritizes available offshore sand resources for reconstruction and shorefront protection; and
- Advises federal, state and local governments and private developers on marine projects that can improve New York’s energy, transportation, and commercial infrastructure.