If you are at least 17 years old, you may apply for a Natural Hair Styling license based on:
1) New York State Education and Examinations (eligible for temporary license)
You must complete a 300-hour approved course of study and pass both the New York State written and practical examinations to get a license to operate in New York State. As proof of successful completion of schooling, you must have the Affirmation of New York State Approved Schooling section of the application completed by your school director.
After your application is reviewed and accepted, you will receive information that explains the exam process in detail.
2) Education Outside of New York State (eligible for temporary license)
The Department of State may waive the New York State schooling requirement if you can document an equivalent level of schooling from another state or country. You must submit all three of the following documents:
(1) a school certificate;
(2) a school transcript listing subjects and hours completed;
(3) a current, original Certification of Licensure from your state board or, if not licensed, a current Certification from your state's board verifying the hours claimed.
After your application is reviewed and accepted, you will also be required to pass both the New York State written and practical examinations to obtain a Natural Hair Styling license in this state. You will receive information that explains the exam process in detail.
3) Experience: 5 Years Outside of New York State
Any individual having five years of legal experience in an occupation equivalent to Natural Hair Styling may apply for a New York State license by submitting satisfactory evidence of education and experience.
Within the United States experience:
1) An original certification from the licensing agency you were previously licensed with.
2) Two experience statements filled out by former employers, co-workers, clients, that can claim your experience in the state for at least five years. These experience statements must include EXACT dates (month and year of start of service and month and year of end of service), location(City, State, shop name), and specific services that you performed.
3) Copy of tax returns which indicate Natural Hair Styling as occupation
Outside of the United States experience:
Evidence may include but is not limited to:
1) Official certification from the licensing authority in your country or verification from the Consulate that a license is not required to practice this occupation in your country.
2) Detailed letters from employer(s) in your country specifying EXACT dates of employment, location and specific services that you performed.
3) Detailed letters from your client(s), or coworker(s), in your country specifying EXACT dates of service, location and specific services you performed.
4) Copy of passport which indicates Natural Hair Styling as occupation, drivers license, workbook with Natural Hair Styling experience, or any photo identification.
5) Copies of course curricula and diplomas/certificates for education completed in your country.
6) Copy of tax returns which indicate Natural Hair Styling as occupation.
After your application is reviewed and accepted, you may obtain a Natural Hair Styling license in New York State without examination or further education.
You may pay by check or money order made payable to the Department of State or by American Express, MasterCard or Visa using a credit card authorization form. DO NOT SEND CASH. Application fees are nonrefundable. A $20 fee will be charged for any check returned by your bank.
Any person practicing Natural Hair Styling is required by law to have a Natural Hair Styling license. A Natural Hair Styling license will not permit you to operate a business; a separate business application must be completed and a separate business license obtained.
Yes. You need to be examined by a physician, physician's assistant or nurse practitioner to apply for a license in Natural Hair Styling. Your physician, physician's assistant or nurse practitioner must complete and date the Health Certification section of the application. You must submit your application within 30 days after the certification is signed and dated.