Waterfront Revitalization Partners

 The New York State Office of General Services (OGS) Real Property Management and Development, can provide assistance related to grants or other conveyances of State interests in land under water, and the construction of commercial docks, wharves, moorings and permanent structures in State-owned underwater lands.

  The New York State Department of State's Local Government Services can provide training assistance to municipalities related to zoning procedures and other practical legal and technical advice.

  New York State Empire State Development (ESD) can provide assistance if you are looking to start up a company, establish a presence, or expand already existing operations.

 The Environmental Facilities Corporation can provide public and private entities with assistance in complying with federal and State environmental requirements.

 The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) is a public benefit corporation created in 1975 by the New York State Legislature and provides a wide variety of funding opportunities in support of their programs ranging from agricultural innovation, environmental protection, community revitalization, and alternative transportation. NYSERDA administers the New York Energy $martSM Program.

 The New York State Canal Corporation can provide assistance related to redevelopment of the Canal System and the communities located within its Corridor. The New York State Canal Corporation actively seeks individuals and businesses interested in playing a role in the economic revitalization of the NYS Canal System. The Canal Corporation created the Canal Revitalization Program to foster economic development in municipalities along the Canal, and provides information about a wide variety of State and federal grants and direct assistance programs for Canal development strategies.

 The Adirondack Park Agency can provide assistance related to land use management within the boundary of the Adirondack Park.

 The Hudson River Valley Greenway Communities Council provides community planning grants and technical assistance through the "Greenway Communities Grant Program" and the "Greenway Compact Grant Program". These programs help eligible communities develop and achieve a vision for their future and assists in the development of the Greenway Compact, a regional planning strategy for the Hudson River Valley.

 The Office of Community Renewal administers the Community Development Block Grant Program for the State of New York. This program provides grants to eligible cities, towns, and villages with a population under 50,000 and counties with an area population under 200,000 to revitalize neighborhoods, expand affordable housing and economic opportunities and or improve community facilities and services.

 The Department of Environmental Conservation can provide information regarding wetlands, protected species, water quality classifications and State environmental regulations that may apply to your harbor and its existing or proposed uses.

 The Department of Transportation (DOT) can provide information about transportation infrastructure, including roadways, bridges, and bicycle and pedestrian paths, ferries and public transportation, in your harbor area.

 The Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP) can help you understand the historic value of your waterfront and what you need to do to protect it. If your waterfront project includes a historic property, the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation may be able to help with funding for protection and improvements. Through the Environmental Protection Fund and, in some cases in partnership with federal grant programs, grant assistance is provided to municipalities (including state agencies) and nonprofit organizations. Also, OPRHP can assist in identifying historic underwater sites or structures, such as shipwrecks or archaeological sites. The Bureau of Marine Services can provide safe boating courses. OPRHP may also be a waterfront landowner in your community, managing recreational activities and access to the harbor.

 The New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA) is a state funding agency that can provide support for activities of nonprofit arts and cultural organizations.

 The Department of Agriculture and Markets administers several funding programs including the New York State Agricultural Nonpoint Source Abatement and Control Program (ANSCAP), the Agricultural and Farmland Protection Implementation Project Program, and the Farmland Viability Program.

 The U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources and Environment (USDA NRE) can provide assistance with rural development and help communities with natural resource concerns, such as erosion control, watershed protection, and forestry. USDA NRE is composed of the Forest and Forestry  and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).

 The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a critical partner in harbor management with information about marine safety, security and environmental protection. USCG approves aids to navigation and regulatory markers such as buoys, and approves certain anchorage and mooring areas.

 The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) can provide harbor managers with a variety of charting and navigation tools and information. NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service has information about Essential Fish Habitats, marine and anadromous protected species, and commercial and recreational fisheries in your area.
is the Nation's official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation. Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. The National Register is administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior.

 The United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) can identify federally maintained navigation channels and other federal projects such as breakwaters, and provide information and regulatory guidance on dredging and dredged material disposal, flood protection, wetlands and waterways. New York's coastal areas and inland waterways are covered primarily by the New York District and the Buffalo District.

 The United States Department of Interior includes both the National Park Service (NPS) and the Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), both providing valuable information for harbor management planning. NPS is a good source for cultural resources information, has a submerged resources center, and may own or manage a National Park, Seashore, or Monument in your harbor area. USFWS can provide endangered species consultation, habitat assessment and restoration assistance, technical input in evaluating impacts to fish and wildlife, and may own or manage a National Wildlife Refuge in your area.

 United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) can provide information on air and water quality programs and regulations related to the discharge of wastes from boats and marinas, beach closures and monitoring, and assistance with planning and managing watersheds, water quality, and wetlands.

 The U.S. National Park Service administers grant programs focused on cultural resources and historic preservation, as well as the Land and Water Conservation Fund, managed in New York by the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, which is intended to create and maintain a nationwide legacy of high quality recreation areas and facilities, and stimulate non-federal investments in recreation resources. It provides a broad range of products and services, financial assistance and incentives, educational guidance, and technical information in support of this mission.

 The U.S. Department of Energy Smart Communities Network can provide key planning principles as well as resources for strategies, tools, and civic participation to help your community with sustainable land use planning.

 The Transportation Planning Capacity Building (TPCB) Program is designed to help decision makers, transportation officials, and staff resolve the increasingly complex issues they face when addressing transportation needs in their communities. This comprehensive program for training, technical assistance, and support targets State, local, regional, and Tribal governments, transit operators, and community leaders.

 The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) can provide assistance on a range of economic development and community renewal programs.

 The U.S. Department of Defense Office of Economic Adjustment can provide assistance to communities adversely impacted by significant Defense program changes.